Thursday 7 October 2010

Jane Morley & Tim Ball...

I'm delighted to introduce two new artists to thewhitegallery: Stockport-based Jane Morley and Derbyshire artist, Tim Ball.

Both artists exhibited at this year's Wirksworth Arts Festival - a real gem of an event worth looking out for next year if you've never been before - and I was immediately struck by the beauty of their work.

"My previous paintings were inspired by modernist architecture and classical landscape painting," says Jane, "but my most recent work deals with actual locations, giving a cropped picture-postcard view of some favourite buildings and places around Manchester and beyond."

Janes almost photographic paintings have a beauty and light reminiscent of the American artist Edward Hopper. People are absent from her pictures, allowing the buildings to stand alone, as personalities in their own right.

Tim Ball focuses on the natural landscape for his work, in particular trees.























"Landscape has been my inspiration for many years and my main focus has been the Peak District. I attempt to capture images that are a snapshot of a certain place at a certain time, often revisiting throughout the various seasons. The colours and compositions are very important, often obscure but which represent a chance glimpse into the ever-changing spaces of our environment."

Both Jane and Tim refer to photography in their analysis of their work which is very interesting: as a photographer myself I enjoy framing a picture in-camera and finding interesting and unusual ways to present quite ordinary things - a chair perhaps, or a building against the blue sky - and I can see this approach in both Jane and Tim's illuminating paintings.

No comments: